Necessity of Decision-Making
Our Lack Of Training In Decision-Making
Why Help In Making Decisions?
- Pivotal decisions have very significant implications for how the lives of everyone effected by these decisions goes. It can be worth the time and effort to make these decisions wisely.
- Some situations are repeatedly encountered (often with slight variations) and for these it can be worth developing a policy for how to deal with these recurring challenges..
- Spending time on improving our decision-making process can streamline and improve our future decision-making.
Decisions Can Involve Both Prudential And Ethical Values
What Makes A Decision Wise?
- spotting the need to make a decision
- understanding the situation you are in
- getting clear on the decision you are facing
- working out what matters in the situation
- thinking of possible courses of action
- assessing these courses of action in terms of what matters
- effectively carrying out your decision
- monitoring and revising your decision
What Abilities Are Needed To Make Wise Decisions?
- understanding and using emotions
- assessing values (what matters)
- being an effective critical thinker
- being an effective creative thinker
- being an effective communicator